Are you a healthcare professional, teacher, police officer, fire fighter, active or retired military, or childcare provider and struggling to purchase a home in Florida? If so, the Florida Hometown Heroes Program may be able to help!
This program offers $25,000 towards closing costs to eligible borrowers. In this blog post, we will provide an overview of the program and tell you how to apply. So if you’re ready to become a homeowner, keep reading!
What is the Florida Hometown Heroes Program?
This program provides down payment and closing cost assistance to qualified homebuyers so they can purchase a primary residence in the community in which they work and serve.
The program is available in all 67 counties in Florida and funding is provided on a first-come, first-served basis. If you think you may qualify for the program, here’s what you need to do:
The Hometown Heroes Loan Program in Florida offers a reduced first mortgage rate and extra special benefits to veterans and their families.
How to Apply
The first step is to contact a participating lender. Both of my two go-to lenders are approved lenders for the program. Click here to view my lenders! However, not all lenders are qualified to assist you with this program so it’s important you use the right one.
Once you’ve chosen a lender, you’ll need to complete an application and provide documentation of your employment and income. If you’re approved for the program, the next step is to attend a homebuyer education course. After completing the course, you will be ready to start shopping for your new home!
Borrowers can receive up to 5% of the first mortgage loan amount (maximum of $25,000) in down payment and closing cost assistance.
It’s good to know that borrowers are not required to be a first-time homebuyer, but they must have not owned a home within the past three years.
The Florida Hometown Heroes loan is not forgivable.
This second mortgage becomes due and payable, in full, upon sale of the property, refinancing of the first mortgage, transfer of deed or if the homeowner no longer occupies the property as his/her primary residence.
The income limit in Lee County, Florida is $120,600.
To see the income limit for other counties in Florida, click here.
Purchase Price Limits
The maximum amount of the purchase price in Lee County, Florida is $420,680 for FHA Loans and $547,200 for VA and Conventional Loans.
Lee County includes Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Alva, Estero, Alva, Lehigh Acres, North Fort Myers, Sanibel / Captiva and parts of Bonita Springs.
For Collier County, the maximum purchase price is $552,000 for FHA Loans and $647,200 for VA and Conventional Loans.
Collier County includes Naples, Immokalee, Marco Island and the southern half of Bonita Springs.
Participants must be employed FULL-TIME and CURRENTLY employed in a position in which their license or certification is held.
Eligible occupations include:
- Sworn Law Enforcement Officer
- Certified Correction Officer
- Correctional Probation Officer
- Juvenile Detention Officer
- Juvenile Probation Officer
- Certified Paramedic
- Certified Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- 911 Public Safety Communicator
- Classroom Teacher
- Career Specialist (educator)
- Librarian/Media Specialist
- School Counselor
- Social Worker
- School Psychologist
- Licensed Childcare Operator (Owner of Childcare Facility)
- Childcare Instructor *(employed by a LICENSED childcare facility or REGISTERED or LICENSED home childcare provider)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CAN)
- Home Health Aide *(employed by a LICENSED home health agency)
- Physician Assistant
- Certified Medical Assistant
- Osteopathic Physician
- Chiropractic Physician
- Podiatric Physician
- Pharmacy Technician
- Dental Hygienist
- Certified Nurse Midwife
- Speech Language Pathologist or Audiologist
- Speech-Language Pathology Assistant or Speech Language Audiologist Assistant
- Nursing Home Administrator
- Occupational Therapist
- Occupational Therapist Assistant
- Respiratory Therapist
- Licensed Dietician or Nutritionist
- Licensed Nutrition Counselor
- Athletic Trainer
- Prosthetist Orthotist
- Orthotic Fitter
- Orthotic Fitter Assistant
- Massage Therapist
- Clinical Laboratory Personnel
- Licensed Medical Physicist (X-Ray)
- Basic X-Ray Machine Operator, Certified
- Radiologic Technologist, Certified
- Radiology Assistant, Certified
- General Radiographer, Certified
- Specialty Technologist
- Hearing Aid Specialist
- Physical Therapist
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Clinical Social Worker
- Marriage & Family Therapist
- Mental Health Counselor
- Veterinarian Assistant or Technician
- Active Military Personnel
The program begins June 1st but you can apply now with your local lender and they will submit your application on June 1st.
If you have any questions about the program or whether you qualify, feel free to reach out to me and I would be happy to help!
THANK YOU GOVERNOR Ron DeSantis!